Thursday, September 22, 2011

the blog land.

Oh Blog Land. It's a crazy, crazy place.

I have to be honest; sometimes? I seriously want to pull out. It can be ridiculous dramatic. The thing is, 99% of the time, any sentence can get taken the wrong way. Where a writer means sarcasm, a reader takes it as truth. Where a comment can just be a general "amen", it can be taken as an attack. It's crazy.

I kind of feel like Twitter makes it worse. I'm not on Twitter much. I jump in every now and then, but I can't keep up. Until two days ago, I had barely touched Twitter in over a week. Apparently you can miss a lot in a week.. Oops.

I'll be honest, I tend to speak my mind before thinking a lot. But I try not to blatantly hurt anyone. But then again, you can take words any way you want. That's the good and bad thing about words; any person can pretty much spin any sentence to make it say what they want it to say.

Blah.

I've been blogging for three years now. Overall, I've loved my experience. More than anything I LOVE having this blog to look back at. It's so fun to look back at what we were doing at different days and see how different life was not that long ago. I have LOVED the relationships I've built. So many of my real life friendships have been formed through blogging. I have met some AMAZING ladies. I love the community. How I can hop on and get advice and help in basically any situation. It's amazing.

I do not like how people take my words and run with them and make them things their not. Or start bad mouthing me to others that I don't even know without coming to me first. That's kind of dumb. For real. But to each their own.

I had such a bad taste in my mouth last night about all of this. Then I read the comments on a dear friend's most recent post and I remembered why I blog... I blog because people are inherently good. That we all get irritated on days and can say mean things, but at the end of the day, most of us are still good people. People who want to get on here and vent about our kids, or being single, or our jobs because we've met real FRIENDS on here to talk to. We encourage each other on weight loss journeys, through infertility and through loss of family and friends. When my Twitter feed is blowing up with "I'll be praying"s and "I'm so sorry" s, I truly believe those people are just that. Because they care.

People are going to take things the wrong way. Until they invent that dang sarcasm font or until we can all be in each others heads (trust, y'all do not want in here), words can be misconstrued. Try to remember that.

Thanks for reading y'all. Thanks for making blogging something I so love to do and for making this such a great experience.

16 comments:

Jessie Jones said...

You are so right about our writing. It can be taken so many ways. I'm grateful my experience has been a good one. Hope yours continues to be mainly good as well! We all love reading!

Amber said...

This is a great post and is oh so true! Thanks for writing it - I know I for one certainly needed it right now!

Katie @ Modern-Day Family said...

I think this is a great post! Ive been feeling a little meh about the whole blogging and twitter thing. Questioning and trying to remember the real reasons why I participate. I feel like there are so many sides and interpretations to every post and it's easy to flip out with out understanding the intent of the author. Of course sometimes there is just pure evil too. Ok I'm rambling. Alls this to say.., well said!

lg2006 said...

Great post and great points. I know i experienced a lot of that this week, and certainly didn't intend for it to be that way, but things can easily be misconstrued. That was just a blip on the radar of how much I have enjoyed blogging tho.

Ashley Paige said...

thanks for reminding so many of us WHY we do what we do and why we continually come back to write in our little space of the blog world.. it's women like you that reinstate my faith in this awesome community of amazing women :)

Lauren said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn’t have said it better myself!!

Paige said...

I agree with Lauren, I could not have said this better myself. I must agree also that twitter makes the drama a million times worse. I love being able to look back on my blog and seeing all of the progress that I have made throughout the past few years! Thank you for reminding us all!

Michelle said...

I know it's easier said than done, but sometimes you just have to say fuck em. If they don't get it, they don't get it and that isn't your problem. Keep doing what you're doing and those that don't get it can go away.

Brittany Ann said...

I have a very similar post saved in my drafts because of a very similar experience yesterday. I'm much like you, and, well, I struggle with the good and bad of the blog-world a lot. Thanks for being honest and upfront!

Brittany Ann said...

I have a very similar post saved in my drafts because of a very similar experience yesterday. I'm much like you, and, well, I struggle with the good and bad of the blog-world a lot. Thanks for being honest and upfront!

Kodi said...

I just love you and your heart.

Maggie said...

A sarcasm font would be the Internet's greatest invention. EVER. xoxo

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

Oh, I'm so sorry hon :-( I love reading your blog, and I agree that it's such a great way to meet other women around the world and form some fabulous friendships. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt when I read a comment they've left for me that might be construed as mean. I hope that people do the same for me. I've never, ever left an unkind comment or Twitter post, but I know that there were times when someone misunderstood what I said. I think that's the danger of written communication without face-to-face interaction. So much can get lost in the mix, and sometimes people have really itchy, sensitive trigger fingers that lash back a reply without taking a moment to think about it. Words can hurt, people!

Jen Watts said...

So true, so true. I am afraid people don't "get" my sense of humor in writing. Oh well. Adore you and your blog-can't imagine what we'd do if you left and we had no more baby girl updates :(

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

This is spooky - I'm a few days behind on reading your posts & without knowing you had written this, I did my own take on this same issue just yesterday. Great - and frustrated - minds think alike, right?

So I'm with you here and, like, you, am trying to stay focused on the overwhelming amount of good I've encountered through blogging, kind people like you very much included.

PS - I want in on the Committee to Create the Sarcasm Font. I'll even bring the cocktails.

Newlywed Next Door said...

Sorry for the d-r-a-m-a. Girls can be so stupid.

I'm glad you blog because blogging meant that I got to know you! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin