Thursday, February 18, 2010

update on Baby Girl

Mr. Perfect and I went back to the doc on Tuesday for our 32 week appointment. They had told us that at this appointment we would be having a biophysical profile done and a non-stress test. Neither of which I really understood, but whatever.

We got hooked up to the ultrasound machine first thing. Basically they did some measuring on our little girl and watched her practice fetal breathing. It's a very good thing that she's in there practicing her breathing. She's getting ready. She's laying head down already on her left side with her bottom right under my left rib cage and her feet and hands playing around near my right ribcage. My placenta still looks really good and she still seems to be getting everything she needs. Yay!

At the end of the ultrasound the lady told us how much she weighed. Normally for this point in pregnancy, the baby should weigh around 4 lbs. I figured she'd weigh a little over since she's been measuring a bit big.

Y'all, this little girl weighs 5 pounds 4 ounces. I literally started crying. She's huge. And that's going to hurt! But she's perfectly healthy with precious chubby cheeks and a chubby little belly.

After the ultrasound, they hooked me up to the fetal monitor for her non-stress test. By this point, Baby Girl was out. She stayed awake for the whole ultrasound so it was definitely her naptime. Her heart rate was doing exactly what it was supposed to while she was asleep, but they needed to see what it did while she was awake. So they gave me some orange juice to get her going. Totally didn't work. This girl likes her sleep. I don't blame her. So does Mom.

So the nurse brought out this horrible buzzer thing and put it right on her back and set it off. I thought she was literally going to jump out my belly button. And boy did it piss her off. From then on, anytime the nurse even spoke, it got her moving, and rolling, and kicking. Everything looked great. She's absolutely perfect. Her hearts doing what it's supposed to, as is her activity level, and lungs.

The doc came in after that and told us we'd be coming in every week from now on. I was completely shocked. I didn't think we'd have to switch to weekly appointments this early, but we'll do it. Every visit from here on out we'll have a biophysical profile and non-stress test done. I'm going to have the most photographed baby in utero ever.

I asked the doc about her size and what that would mean to me. I wanted to know if it was something that they would induce early for. Now I know induction is the choice for many people, but I do not want it. It makes me nervous and I'd much rather just do this on my own. However, it doesn't look like that will be the case. Not only does her size play into the matter, but my doc is looking at induction because of all our other issues as well. We'll talk more in the next couple of weeks, but it looks like she may be here sooner than we thought. I guess I'll just have to get used to the thought of being induced... I also let the doc know that I was very nervous about her coming early because of all of my blood thinners. Call me crazy, but I'm terrified of bleeding to death during labor. The nurse was great though, and sat me down and talked over my options if that should become an issue. But she really doesn't think it will.

I'm so glad that my doc is watching things so closely. I can't believe we only have 7 more weeks. And that's at the most!

13 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

The dude was 8 lbs, 11 oz. I'm ok! Yay for her being healthy!!

Sassy Engineer said...

I'm so excited for you and so happy that she is doing everything she is supposed to! My nephew was over 10 lbs when he was born and they ended up having to do a c-section to get him out, but everything went smoothly! I know God will take care of you :) I'll keep it all in my prayers!

Fidgeting Gidget said...

How exciting! You're going to be a mommy sooooo soon! :)

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

I am so jealous that you get all these tests and ultrasounds at every appointment. Our doctor just listens to the heart beat and calls it a day...at least until 36 weeks. Porter and I really miss Baby Allred and are considering going back to Baby's 1st Image to get more pictures.

Lindsey said...

So excited for you!!! Glad all is well and you have a healthy baby!=)

LyndsAU said...

im glad all is well girl!! she is going to be one beautiful girl :)

Mc Allen said...

aww, yay, its so excitin! thanks for the update!

d.a.r. said...

You are doing great!!!

Unknown said...

wow! I'm excited for you and glad everything is going so well!

SplendidlyImperfect said...

I was induced due to my baby's size. I heard all these horror stories about Pitocin, but really, it wasn't THAT bad. I'm sure you'll do great!

The Baby Cove said...

So exciting that she's starting breathing on her own!

I hear ya about not wanting to be induced! I can't believe she'll be here so soon!

Jennifer said...

I am so jealous! I can't wait until I can feel the baby moving around. I am at about 16.5 weeks. When did you first feel your baby move?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin