Wednesday, July 1, 2009

doctor update

Warning: Post below is full of female medical jargon. Feel free to fly right on past if you want.

A couple weeks ago, we went back to Dr. O for our "monitored ovulation" appointment. Basically he used an ultrasound to see what my ovaries were doing during my current cycle. We went in on Thursday the 18th and saw his nurse for our appointment. Basically everything looked right on track. It was still early (which I knew because I chart, thank you Mrs. Newlywed for helping me with that!), but for the point in my cycle everything looked good. From what she could tell, I was ovulating off my left side and the follicle which I was ovulating from was measuring 16 x 16. Really no idea what that means, but they want it at 20 x 20 to consider the follicle healthy. Also my endometrium (lining of the uterus) was measuring at a 6, which is the minimum they want when you ovulate. Overall, everything looked great for a couple days prior to ovulation. I was thrilled that something was going right.

They wanted me to come back in on Saturday morning to take a look again. So we got up bright and early and headed back up to the hospital, everyone's favorite place to be on their day off. Basically the appointment was craptastic. My follicle was now measuring 17 x 13 and is considered "abnormal" and my endometrium was still only measuring at a 6. It hadn't gotten any thicker at all. It was still early, but the follicle should have been around a 20 x 20 at this point and clearly that wasn't going to happen. The possibility of us doing the next pregnancy try without the use of fertility drugs?

Nonexistent.

Clomid is not an option for me since it tends to thin out your endometrium and mine is already thin enough, so Dr. O sent me for more blood work (vampires!) to figure out his next course.

I. Am. So. Frustrated.

I really thought this was one test that I would ace. I mean clearly I ovulate; I've been pregnant four times for crying out loud. I had a mini-breakdown when leaving on Saturday. Mr. Perfect tried to make me see reason by reminding me that this can be fixed, that there are drugs for this.

Well I know that. But I just wanted one thing to go right.

I had my blood drawn on Monday I had to fast and then go in and get my post ovulation progesterone levels taken and my glucose and insulin tested. Got my results on that today. My progesterone showed that I had ovulated but it was pretty low. Not surprising since it has been low every single pregnancy and I always get put on progesterone shots immediately. My glucose came back good but my insulin came back high. As did my glucose/insulin ratio. I don't really understand much about that. From what the nurse told me, it can predispose you to diabetes but not necessarily. In fact if any of you nurses out there can hook me up with a bit of info about this, I would be forever grateful. I go back Tuesday for a glucose curve (sounds super fun) and then the next Tuesday for a consult.

Know what that means?

We don't try this month. Not until we figure out this new little curve ball.

I am cussing internally. I am so frustrated.

Did I already say that?!?

I think there's a little bucket up in heaven that has my healthy reproductive system in it. I wish it would drop on down. I think my patience and my real nose are in there too. I feel like I'm about to lose it. I'm going to need one thing to go right soon...

10 comments:

Jen said...

Oh honey ... I'm so sorry. That's terribly frustrating. I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better, but I've got nothing other than I'll be thinking about you!

Jennifer said...

Oh girl! I am so sorry! This is one of the hardest things you can go through. I am praying for you!

d.a.r. said...

Oh girl, I am so sorry. I don't even know what to say to make it better. I'm thinking of you...

In This Wonderful Life said...

I'm praying for you sister! deep breaths! what about metformin?? that's for the insulin type stuff! my doc said I may even be on it through a pregnancy...I'm finishing my 2nd month. Also, I heard whole milk helps the lining..

Emily said...

aww honey, I am praying for you. I have type one diabetes and take insulin every hour of every day but I don't know how that effects all the girl stuff...I wish I had more information for you!

Sassy Engineer said...

I'm so sorry you are still struggling with all of this. I will keep you in my prayers, and I know God is in control!

Jennifer said...

It must be extremely frustrating, but at least they have prescriptions that may help! I'll be keeping you and the Mr. in my prayers.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

That has to be so, so very frustrating. I've had some friends go through similar situations, but I just can't imagine. My thoughts are with you.

Saskia said...

Oh I'm so sorry to read this last post.

You're in my thoughts & prayers.

Saskia xx

Abbie Burnham said...

Ugh, I'm sorry, Megan. I am continually wishing that my reproductive system would just work like everyone else's...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin