Wednesday, July 29, 2009

i miss sleep.

When I was little, I had to have the radio on to sleep. I would sing along for a little bit, but eventually I would just drift off to dreamland. I could not sleep without that noise. Probably something to do with how I can't turn my mind off.

Then in high school, I added the tv. I would go to sleep to a good movie or television show. The lights flashing didn't even phase me. I could not sleep without it.

At my senior prom one of my girlfriends took a college boy as her date. That night, the boy, Chris, slept through one of the loudest parties ever. Like slept in the middle of it. I was in awe. How on earth does one sleep through "Animal House" 2.0? He told me to wait til I got to college and I would understand.

Then I did. My dorm was full of screaming co-eds and they never bothered me. I was an athlete, so I got up super early in the morning and napped in the afternoon and I could have slept through the second coming. My roommate at the time couldn't sleep with any noise. So long nightly radio and tv. We slept with a fan. I was so tired all the time that I didn't care.

When I got out of college, my sleep patterns changed. I couldn't handle any noise at all but the fan. Thank you college roomie for ruining me. Noises outside drove me crazy. I would find myself focusing on every little sound and it keeping me awake all night. I was starting to miss my sleep.

Then I got married. Now I love my husband, but the boy is a snorer. I spent a good portion of the first couple months of our marriage sleeping on the couch, or the guest bed. I could not take it. We got a noise maker and eventually I learned that if I turned the noisemaker on and got to sleep first, I could sleep for a few hours til he would wake me up in the middle of the night. Sleeping next to him turned out to be worth it all though..

Now Mr. Perfect has a sleep machine. Oh. My. Gosh. I loathe this thing. It hums, it whispers, and it sounds like Darth Vader coming to kill me in my sleep. I can hear it over the noisemaker, I can hear it over the fan, I can even hear it over the dogs. I can't sleep. It freaks me out. I just sit there and listen to it hum and breathe. Yes, it breathes.

I friggin' miss my sleep. I am so tired, but he has to have this machine. Anyone else sleep with this wannabe alien in their room? How do you cope sleep with it on?!? I can't do earplugs. They make my ears feel dirty. I already tried them.

Must find coffee. Somehow I need to function today.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sounds like Darth Vadar coming to kill me...."

Let's all pause and reflect on this hilarious sentence, shall we?

LMAO!

Jennifer said...

I can't sleep with any noise or lights at all. I am lucky because Thomas and I both are this way and neither of us snore. However, I live with my mom for the time being and she snores so loud and she listens to the tv full blast no matter how late it is. Seriously, I pull in the driveway and get out of my car and I can hear the tv from outside! Every Saturday morning, she gets up at 7 or 8 and turns that tv on and if I ask her to turn it down so I can go back to sleep, I am the bad guy! She snores so loud that I shut her door and mine and sometimes I can still hear her! It is so hard, I have tried ear plugs too. I hate them! If I hear the snoring, I just lay there awake.

sarah said...

Okay, could you guys compromise if he was able to cut down on snoring? I made my fiancee get a mouth piece to use at night. He looks ridiculous wearing it, but I couldn't sleep with the snoring and I wanted to sleep buy him. I never could find ear plugs that fit inside my ears without hurting them and this solution seems to work.

Sherry said...

I know excactly what you mean! When I was a kid, I used to be able to fall asleep in the middle of the living room with the TV and lights on! Now one little noise wakes me up! And since we got a kitten, he is keeping me up! I miss sleep too!!

Meg said...

ugh, my hubby is a snorer as well. I can sleep so long as I go to sleep before him, but he falls asleep faster than a rock. Literally, five seconds and he's out cold. Drives me nuts! ;) I usually toss and turn for an hour and if I haven't fallen asleep by then I either get up or keep hitting him so his snoring will pause and I can hopefully fall asleep before it gets bad again. :P

Sara said...

So, does Mr. P have a breathing machine? This is kind of what I'm afraid of as they freak me out. Mine is a snorer too and while I want him to see someone about it, his dad has really bad sleep apnea and has that machine. I think he's afraid he'll need one to. I found that earplugs made for women are smaller and fit better. You may want to try those...

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

When I was little I did the same thing... I remember this tape I would put in and sing songs about my name... "We're going to sing about "Tracy"... cause she's a special girl".

Now I just want silence to go to sleep... and I feel like I can never get enough of it! :)

Children of the 90s said...

I wish I could still sleep the way I did in college, too. I guess I was just so exhausted all the time I sort of passed out.

When I go somewhere with my family and share a room with my sister, I can not sleep through her snoring. She's tried those breathe right strips, they sometimes help. Otherwise, maybe he could stop in and see a doctor...your sleep is important!

Miss Jody said...

Oh my gosh girl....I hear ya! Loud N Clear!!!

I *LOVE* my hubby. but he flippin' snores. I thought at one point that I knew all the sounds of his snores....nope. makes up a new one every now and then. Just to throw me off. Geez...just when ya think ya know somebody!

I still haven't come up with a solution.
So, if you find one...shoot me an e-mail. :)

Signed,
me no zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, also

In This Wonderful Life said...

oh no! this cannot be good. probably miserable. what about ear muffs? haha

Brown Girl said...

Wow, that doesn't sound good at all. I can sleep through a hurricane though!

Unknown said...

I used to sleep with the radio on when I was in high school too ...and now it's the tv...all night long. My husband doesn't really snore but we have heat issues. I'm apparently too hot for him {ahahahha!} no, not like that ...apparently I am as hot as an oven and just being next to me makes him sweat. I also hate sleeping with the air on...so we have our own sleeping issues...mostly he falls asleep on the couch but I find him next to me in the morning.

{Thanks for your comment. I'm sorry for your struggles and losses. It's just so frustrating. I hope it happens soon for you or may we both find peace with it}

Saskia said...

Poor you. Not sleeping is so horrible. Why do night hours drag so much?

What is a sleep machine? I've never heard of it before!! It sounds so strange!!

Hope you have a restful and lovely weekend xxx

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Bummer! I used to sleep with the radio in high school too! And I was the same way if I fell asleep before a thunderstorm I could sleep right through it but if it started first then it took me a while. Wish I had some suggestions for you but I got nothing. I hope you get some sleep soon girl! Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin