Friday, July 31, 2009

irrational fear # 897

When I was really little, I got pecked on the foot by a seagull. Not kidding. I think it scarred me for life. My 5 year old self just stood there in shock until it hit me that I should be crying. So cry I did. A new fear was born.

The Marine and I spent the night with a family friend when were in middle school. She let us "camp out" in the living room in front of the tv. We also got to pick a movie to watch. The Marine and the lady picked "The Birds". Horrified. I dreamed that night that I was being attacked and they ate my eyes out. You know, that could totally happen.

When I was 20, I wrecked my car and had to walk to work. No big deal since I lived across from the store I worked in. One day I was walking to work and it happened. A bird swooped down and almost pecked me in the head. I took off running. I was literally shaking with fright by the time I got work. The next morning, same thing. Only I had wet hair. You see where this is going? The freaking bird almost got caught in my hair. I have never been so scared in my life. Bring on a mugger, but a bird?! Oh uh uh. I started walking a different (much longer) way to work. Stupid freakin' bird.

People always find birds that have been hurt and bring them in the clinic. I hide in the back. One time someone brought their pet bird in to get his wings clipped. It got away. Guess who it flew toward? It's like they know. I just got off the phone with another lady who wanted to bring a bird in on Monday. I think I'm calling in sick. Those little suckers are a hazard. They will eat your eyes out or peck you to death. I don't care if it's a hummingbird. Have you seen how quick those are? People don't stand a chance.

Maybe I'm irrational. And? I hate them. What are some of your "irrational" fears?

11 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I am terrified of the oven door snapping shut while my arm is inside. I have NO idea why!!!

Jennifer said...

My irrational fear is choking. Granted it is a serious problem if it happens, but I have huge fear of it. When I was 3 I choked on a lifesaver and it scarred me for life, then I choked a few other times in my life that weren't as bad as the lifesaver incident. Not to mention, my mother always told me to chew my food good or I would choke when I was a kid. Now I am positively terrified of choking. Don't cough when your eating with me or I will jump across the table and give you the Hiemlick. I take so much longer than everyone else to eat because it is in my blood to chew my food forever! It's a little obsessive. ha!

Jennifer said...

My email is littleladybug706@aol.com I would love to have you come to our small group and I think you would really like it!

In This Wonderful Life said...

birds FREAK me out.. I hate insects..ALL of them!

Meg said...

Spiders and all of those creep crawly things freak me out. And snakes. ugh :P

Miss Jody said...

I'm wicha sista!

i have fobias of different animals and I'm a vet technician.

I had to friggin' HOLD a snake as big as my friggin arm (the tickness of it) while the Dr. was force feeding it, a mouse that he just killed. Yip. Took everything I Possibly had to not pass out or crap myself.

Birds. yip. We did exotics and I had to transfer a sick, HUGE-A** , barn owl to another facility.in.the.backseat.of.my.car.
I had my eyeS on that rearview mirror the whole time..yip.you guessed it.
That flippin' Owl poked it head out! and it took up the whole mirror !and like in a horror film when the mean man presents his face in the mirror, the woman lets out a blood curdling scream.Yip.
me.

I should write a book...titled.

"Yip. It happened to me..."

Lara said...

LOL, when I was little I went to Gatwick zoo, and I stuck my face right up to the edge of the caging, and a bird pecked my nose.

When I was growing up I would refuse to even go to the same TOWN of the zoo, because I was scared of it happening again!

Unfortunately, Gatwick is also a major airport in the UK, so I had to lump it and go eventually...

Brown Girl said...

Oh my word, birds scare the poop out of me too! When we went to Chicago this damn pigeon kept following me, I swear it wanted to attack me but M kept telling me I was crazy!

Jill said...

first of all, i started cracking up when i read the title of your blog.

i have an irrational fear of squirrels. they are darty little suckers! you never know where they're going to run. around you? in a tree? up to you? it's scary! birds are the same way to me. darty little suckers, i tell ya...

~M~ said...

I HATE birds! They are just plain creepy!!

Jen McCrady said...

birds freak me out too... you're not alone.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin