Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baltimore: Day 1

A few weekends back, Mr. Perfect and I ventured on up to see my parents in Maryland. My parents moved up there a few years back for their jobs and are still currently up there. They moved after I'd already left for college and most of my family is still down here in the South, so honestly, I don't make it up there too often to visit. Which makes me a very bad daughter but...

Plus, if you think this girl in a car for 10 hours is a good idea then you are insane.

I cannot sit still for 10 minutes. 10 hours?!? Like having my fingernails pulled off.

But Mr. Perfect and I both managed to somehow score 4 day weekends over St. Patty's Day so we figured we would head on up there.

I almost changed my mind when I checked the weather from my nice 70 degree hometown and saw a chance of snow in the DC area. I don't think I even own a coat!!

So after work on Friday the 13th (cue scary music), Mr. Perfect and I loaded up the kids, took them to the kennel (no tears were shed this time!), and then hit the road.
I managed to keep myself entertained for the first 3 hours of the trip with a couple of books. I read my fertility book cover to cover (which is a story in itself in that in 3 hours time I managed to convince myself that I had everything wrong possible with my reproductive system!) and then some Nicholas Sparks book. By that time we had reached Florence, SC, home of Mr. Perfects parents, and place of our first break.

Yes. Mr. Perfect hates to stop so he tries to "schedule" breaks for us. I usually break this idea about an hour into the trip. I always seem to need want something!

We had a quick little visit with the inlaws then got back on the road.

At this point, Mr. Perfect decides he's too tired to drive.


Apparently I talked in my sleep all nite the nite before and he got no sleep. Blah. So I figure I'll be nice and let him nap a bit.

7 hours, bunches of coffee, and way too many Full Throttles later, Mr. Perfect is still asleep and we're pulling up in St. Leonard, MD. Are you kidding me?!?

We go straight to bed with plans to sleep in in the morning. This girl is up at 8.30 am. Sure... Can't get up for work to save my life, but let me drive all nite and I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning! I loved it though because when I got up only my Dad was awake so far, so I got to spend some quality time with him. My Dad is the person most like me on the planet. Which is weird, because we're total opposites. But the important stuff; we're on the same page. I got to hang out with my Dad in the quiet, both drinking our black coffee (I swear I drink it this way just because he does!), reading (the news for him, y'alls blogs for me!), and occasionally making idle chit chat. My Dad is one of the only people in the world I feel truly comfortable with. He and I both understand our need for "me" time, we're both really bad at talking about our feelings, and we both have horrible tempers! I love my time with him!

About an hour later my Mom and the Hubs make their way downstairs. We piddle, talk, play with the dogs, consume another 5 cups of coffee... Wait. That was just me. We decided not to do DC this trip since we always visit there and we got on the road to Baltimore.

I We suggested we should eat first so we headed to some seafood restaurant right on Baltimore's inner harbor. Not bad food. I had the oyster poboy. Actually quite good, and the view was spectacular.

Mom and Dad at lunch:

Even though it was starting to rain and I felt like it was subarctic weather outside, we decided after lunch we should walk around the Harbor. So we did. We walked all the way to the shopping mall and then we stayed inside for awhile!

Mr. Perfect and I by the Harbor:

And no, that's not my coat. I wasn't lying when I told you I didn't have one! I had to borrow one from my Mom! Thankfully she's lived up North long enough that she seems to have a nice collection!!

My cutie little parents on the Harbor:

We didn't do too much else that day. We decided to head on back to St. Leonard and come back the next day and do some more things that we thought sounded interesting. When we got back home, I laced up for a quick little run and my Dad decided to go with me. My Dad is actually the runner in the family, but I managed to actually push him a bit this time! We did a 3 mile run with hills. Kudos to those of you who run hills. I almost died. Seriously, saw lights and everything. My version of a hill in Savannah is the slope of a ditch. Kid you not. My quads were on fire. But it was easier to breathe up there so I knocked out the 3 miles in less than 32 minutes. I thought that was pretty good. Oh yea.. it was in the rain too. Makes that 32 minutes a bit better, maybe?

We had another 2 days there, but I'll save that for another post. Don't want to bombard you with too much in one day!

Oh yea. I put this out on Twitter, but I spoke with my doctor about our next step in our journey to our family. As most of you know, we've had quite a time in the past with multiple miscarriages and we're doing some different therapy before we try to conceive again. At our last appointment, about 2 months ago, I was told to begin charting my temperatures. Basically he was looking to see if my uterus was healthy enough after the D&C on New Years to sustain another surgery. Apparently it is. So right after my next cycle (around the middle of April ), I will be having surgery to remove the septum in my uterus. It's supposed to be a day surgery and should be pretty "simple", but there's all kinds of thing that can complicate this surgery so.. Of course I'm a little freaked out. So just keep us in your prayers if you don't mind in this next month. Hopefully this will get the outcome he wants and maybe (hopefully!!) will make it possible to sustain a pregnancy. We shall see.

I can almost breathe again. Thank you ridiculously high pollen count for taking away my enjoyment of spring.

I can't watch Idol til the hubs gets home. He better hurry. I'm dying!!

1 comment:

SassyEngineer said...

What a fun first day! I love getting to visit my parents. I will definitely keep the surgery in my prayers. I hope it works out perfectly!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin