Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Myrtle Beach {part 2}

One thing you should know about me is that I love the beach.

Like, really love the beach.

I love the sand, the water, the feeling of your skin after you leave all toasty and sticky from the salt air.

I love it. Spending a day on the beach makes me smile big time.

My husband? not so much a beach fan. So while my idea of a vacation is lying horizontal somewhere on a beach, his is quite the opposite and therefore we don't spend a lot of time laying on the beach.

But for our trip to Myrtle Beach I was flat out determined that we would have a beach day. And not just a beach day, but BG's first "real" beach day and it was going to be awesome.

Then we walked out to the beach the day before the scheduled "best beach day ever" and my toddler, for lack of a better phrase, lost her everloving mind.
11

She hated the water, she hated the sand between her toes, she hated the waves. What the heck?

I tried. I played fun chase games and picked her up and did almost everything I could short of doing the "Call Me Maybe" dance in the middle of the surf. And still? not a fan.

Blast.

But, the best beach day ever was still going to happen.

So the next morning, we packed up bright and early and headed down to the beach.
IMG_1276

I would like to say that the skies parted and the sun shone down and miraculously the kid loved the beach, but... that would be a lie. However, she did get down and play some.

Her Dad is a gem and took it upon himself to play with her and keep her entertained so that I could spend some time lying horizontal just like I do love to do. So they dug holes and hunted seashells while Mom read and watched.
IMG_1277IMG_1278IMG_1279


Mr. P dug her a little hole up by me and filled it up with water and that turned out to be much more her speed. She loved it. She splashed and splashed and sent him running back for water many more times.
IMG_1281IMG_1282IMG_1333


Eventually I had to give the water another shot. So I took the little one on down to the water where she quickly clung to me like a spider monkey. But it was okay. Because we jumped and we splashed and we laughed like that. She was okay with the water as long as her Mama had her.
IMG_1316IMG_1335

please ignore the scary bathing suit pictures! all for documentation folks!


Eventually Nonny and Pops came down to play a bit and then the three of them headed back inside. Mr. P hung out on the beach with me for a bit before we both headed inside as well.

It wasn't the "perfect" beach day I planned, but it was almost better. BG had fun despite trying to hate her Mama's happy place and I got to get my tan on. We'll call it a successful first beach trip.



8 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love Myrtle Beach too and that water looks heavenly! I miss it! Looks like you had a great time!!

Tiff said...

I love that picture of the two of y'all in the water. So sweet! And her bathing suit.. I am totally in love!

Maydelin said...

You love be sticky?? O love the beach but I hate the sticky feeling!!

By the way I love two thing about this post, I love the red bating suit and the photo of two of you in the beach!! so sweet

Laura said...

1. I had our first beach trip last August planned out perfectly in my head & G HATED everything about it. Everything! Luckily the 2nd time was better!
2. My hubs doesn't understand how I can sit on a beach from 9am-6pm and be perfectly content. Maybe it's a guy thing?
3. Love that sweet monogrammed bathing suit! She is so cute!

Heather said...

Oh yeah! The boys didn't like the beach when we went last year. They just played in the sand.

Shannon Dew said...

Ohh goodness this makes me nervous for August when we take KP. I swear if she doesn't like the beach I may cry.
p.s. that tongue sticking out pic is too cute for words!

Sara McCarty said...

So fun! I'm totally jealous of all the beach time. Looks like the little one had a wonderful time too! She's going to be a beach lover like her momma!

Lauren said...

Oh my, I love love love the beach!!!!!!!!! Keeping working on your girl, she doesn't know what she's missing!!!! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin