Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Huh?

Exactly. I just got about two hours of medical speech and my brain is FRIED. I went in for just another check up today, but Dr. O had gotten back some results for us so we went through all that. Mr. Perfect didn't go because we thought it was just a check up so I made sure to take plenty of notes so I could somewhat explain what I found out.

First of all, I got the results back from my clotting issues test I just recently did. It came back normal. I'm negative for protein abnormalities, Factor V and Factor II. There's also one more that came back negative but I for the life of me cannot remember what it was. But I do know this is all the result that we wanted. So yay! I never thought I'd be so happy to hear a negative result in my life!

We also got our perinatal pathology review back. This is where they send off the remains of a D & C and try to figure out what happened to end the pregnancy. Dr. O went all the way back to the beginning of this with our case and sent off all 4 specimens. With our first pregnancy, we found out that it was actually a molar pregnancy. I plan on reading up on this a bit more, but from what I understand, basically my egg let 2 of Mr. Perfect's sperm in. So he contributed all of the makeup of the embryo. I contributed none. This makes it a genetic abnormality and it cannot survive. Our next 3 pregnancies all appear genetically normal. If you've been reading for a while, then you know I have what our doctor believes to be a severe blood flow problem. Based on our pathology results, it appears that he is correct. Basically, the blood vessels in the uterine wall are abnormal. They always are. It's why I have horrible menstrual cycles and sometimes pain during intercourse (TMI much?!). These blood vessels are responsible for blood flow to the placenta during pregnancy and since they are abnormal, they're just not cutting it. Plan of action? To start another drug that will hopefully straighten out these vessels and get them to cooperate during pregnancy. Sound like I'm speaking Hebrew? Don't worry.. I thought so to!

Our next course of action is still to do the complete chromosomal workup for both of us. We're actually battling with the insurance company right now over this so as soon as we can get it approved, we'll go for it. Today they are having me start to track my temperatures so they can see what my body does during ovulation. I actually owe a huge thank you to Mrs. Newlywed here! Dr. O started talking about tracking your temps and a few months ago I would have sat there like a bump on a log.. But not today! Thanks to my obsessive reading of blogs, I had already heard of this from Mrs. Newlywed and had started it already. So look at me being a step ahead of the Doc! Once I track my temps for 3 cycles, we'll be ready to do the surgery to remove my septum. Oh, and we no longer have to do the biopsy of my uterus as he got the answers he wanted from my path review. So... A lot more information. But at least we feel reassured that we are on the right track with the blood flow issues. It's so nice to know we aren't just pulling stuff out of nowhere. It doesn't feel like quite as big of a guessing game!!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers! It honestly means the world to not feel like we're alone in this. I'm so thankful to have found some awesome bloggy friends!!

3 comments:

d.a.r. said...

Oh gosh, good luck!! You hear so much about unplanned "accidents", but it constantly amazes me how many women struggle to get pregnant. I am praying for you, you two will undoubtedly be wonderful parents!

Am said...

You and your husband are defintely in my thoughts and prayers. Best of luck!

In This Wonderful Life said...

This is great news!!! At least now they have found a cause perhaps AND have a plan of action!! I'm so glad for the negatives.. I will be praying for you guys! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin