Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

I opened my email this morning to this verse:

"My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death..." Mark 14:34

The devotion that followed is making me take a good look at my sins and how I handle them. Especially on this day. The following excerpt is from a daily email I get from Proverbs devotions. Just thought I'd share it with you guys... This is from Mark Chapter 14.

"In this scene, Mark describes Jesus' intense anguish as He contemplates the next step in His earthly journey...death on a cross. Jesus' emotions, deeply distressed and troubled, come from the Greek word "ekthambeo" which means, "to throw into terror; to alarm thoroughly." Scholars believe that in this moment the devil visibly prowled around Jesus. He was desperate to stop Jesus, to drive Him to despair, to steal His hope and belief in the goodness and faithfulness of His Father. Satan needed victory. If he failed, and Jesus walked in obedience to the Father's will, Satan would be vanquished forever! What a powerful moment in Scripture. When God's Word tells us Satan prowls around like a roaring lion, our Lord and Savior knows first hand!!

Jesus' words, My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death, reveal that He fully knew He was about to endure the sin of all mankind. The King James version says, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful," which is from the Greek word "perilupos" which means "deeply grieved." Jesus, who knew no sin was made sin for us. His Father, our God, is perfect in every way. Jesus knew that when He took upon the sin of the world, His Father would have to turn His back on Him. He could not look upon His own Son. The weight of that sin crushed our Lord."

I can't even imagine.

The thing is, we all sin. We're supposed to. We're human. But have you ever felt overwhelming grief when paying for those sins?

No.

Because He already did that for us.

I am in love with a God that went through all that for me. Who suffered and died for me. Who had to feel alone for me. Who was crushed emotionally for me.

I hope you take the time this Easter to just remember and be oh so thankful for His Son. Thank you God that we are Saved!!

6 comments:

jlc said...

That post made me happy. Thanks for the reminder.

Our God is a wonderful wonderful God. :)

Megan said...

Great post!! Hope you have a great Easter!!

alanna said...

i completely appreciate that you wrote about this on your blog - i'm not quite ready to write about my relationship with the church on my blog just yet, but I sincerely appreciate that you've reminded me that it's Good Friday (I guess that should indicate the health of my relationship to the church, huh?). Have an amazing Easter weekend!

Jennifer said...

Great post! We are so blessed to have life in Jesus!

Sassy Engineer said...

What great words! I don't know if that verse has ever really struck me before until today. Thanks for reminding me!

d.a.r. said...

Beautiful post!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin