Sunday, December 16, 2012

12/14

There is this funny thing that happens when you become a Mother. Suddenly, the things that would have made you sad before that child came, now, absolutely break your heart. Things change when you see things through the eyes of a parent.

And Friday, my heart absolutely broke for those affected in Connecticut.

They were children. Babies. Some other Mothers' Ella. And oh my gracious I cannot even imagine. And the adults were still children. And Mothers.

When something like that happens, I think we all take a second and hug our kids a bit tighter. We all get a bit angry and scream things like "gun control" and "where was God?!" (He was there for sure). We get all hot and bothered and demand things like stricter security at schools and harsher laws.

I laid in bed last night just begging my God to spare my child from anything like that. Often I beg Him to keep her safe and to keep her from harm and to keep her well. I never, ever want anything bad to happen to her.

If I could, I would walk beside her every single step for the rest of her life. I'd push away sickness and I'd protect her from anything ever causing her harm.

But I can't.

What I can do is pray for her. And teach her at home things that are good. Teach her to be nice to people, to be kind, to be empathetic to those around her.

I can teach her to love. To accept others who are different from her. To not ostracize people but instead to show them the love that God would. I can do my best to teach her to be a good person.

I wish we lived in a different world but we don't. It's scary and it's awful and it breaks my heart that someday she is going to realize that.

Praying for all those affected by the shooting yesterday. Praying that God surrounds them in comfort and that He holds them tight as they sort through this. Praying that the good of the world will shine again through and around this somehow. Praying for understanding that can only come through Him.


Also, there will be a blog day of silence on Tuesday in honor of these that lost their lives. I pulled the details from Kelly's blog and am posting them below if you'd like to join in.

From Kelly's blog:
On Tuesday, December 18th, there will be a blogger day of silence. We will post the button and that's it. Please try to not post anything else that day if possible.

We are also raising money that will go to an organization in the memory of this tragedy. The organization is called The Newtown Family Youth and Family Services. Here is the official description of the support service we are donating to:

"Newtown Youth and Family Services, Inc. is a licensed, non-profit, mental health clinic and youth services bureau dedicated to helping children and families achieve their highest potential. NYFS provides programs, services, activities, counseling, support groups and education throughout the Greater Newtown area.

ANY DONATIONS MADE TO NEWTOWN YOUTH AND FAMILY SERVICES WILL BE DONATED DIRECTLY TO THOSE EFFECTED BY THE SANDY HOOK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SHOOTING."


Please visit THIS PAGE to make your donation.

We can't imagine how they must be feeling, especially this close to the holidays. We would love for you to spread the word on your own blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Let's make a difference and use blogging in a positive way. Thank you in advance for participating.

Love,
The Blog World

p.s. If you would like to, copy-paste and repost any part of this, please do. Share on.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin