Saturday, September 11, 2010

9-11

Nine years ago, I turned nineteen.

I was a freshman in college and was sleeping until the absolute last minute where I could get up and still get to class on time. Clearly I haven't grown out of that habit.. My roommate and my suite mate were up getting ready and watching tv. Out of nowhere, I heard my roomie, Lori, gasp and turn the tv up.

I got out of bed to a world that had been turned upside down.

We watched in shock at the coverage following the first plane hitting. We hurried to class where we saw the second one hit. Our campus was in shock.

I called my Mom. My Dad was flying to DC that day and we had no idea where he was. They wouldn't tell us where his plane was. Worst day of my life.

Since then my Dad has deployed twice. My brother has deployed once.

Worlds were turned upside down that day. I can't imagine how the people who lost loved ones must feel on this day..

Nine years ago I turned nineteen years old. Today I turn twenty eight. Amazing what nine years can teach a person. Amazing what nine years can do to a country..

My thoughts and prayers got out to those of you affected by 9-11.

My day will be spent cuddling this little one...

And thanking God for another very happy birthday.

4 comments:

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

Happy Birthday. And give her a cuddle from us!

Mike and Molly Spivey said...

Happy Birthday!

I think of you ever year on 9-11 because I remember sitting in Dr. Said's class with you.

Unknown said...

What a beautifully written post...thank you for sharing with us!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday! And Thank you to your father and brother for their service!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin