Sunday, March 29, 2009


Welp.. I'm still alive to write this, which means I survived my first 5k. Technically, Lacy (the pup) and I both survived since she got to run it with me.

So what did I learn....

Regardless of what the scale tells me, I've clearly lost a bit of weight. Why else would I have had to hold my pants up half the race?

My MP3 player does not fit into an Ipod sport case. And even if you manage to squeeze it in, it will most likely not work correctly.

I cannot run without an ipod.

My dog is a bit of a snob.

Here's how it all went down. Nite before the race, I decide that I need to head to the gym just to run. I was freaking out that I wouldn't be able to do the 5k. And I do mean freaking out. So I climb on the dreadmill and do 3.6 miles in about 40 minutes. Stupid.

I've been nursing a sore hamstring since last Sundays soccer game. Well it woke up Saturday morning in a rip roaring mood. I stretched out pretty good before I left the house, ate a quick breakfast, and got Lacy ready to go.

Forgive me for the scary picture but I had only been awake about 30 minutes.

We got there, got registered, let Lacy make her mark in the yard.. ahem... Got stretched out, and got ready to go. I managed to get my MP3 player into an Ipod sports case to wear on my arm. It was working out pretty well before the race. They let all the people running without their dogs start first, then us running with dogs started 5 minutes after, then those walking started five minutes after us. My friend, TW, was running her two dogs with Lacy and I, and another friend, LS, was running without a pup ahead of us.

Of course you had your typical can't act right dogs trying to cause trouble. Here we are all jumbled into a group waiting to start, and this dumb old Pomeranian is going up to rando dogs nipping at them. That's right little one.. bite the Pitbull. Then there's this other dog with a Hannibal Lecter type muzzle on literally dragging the kid trying to hold him all over the place. Come on kids dad! Can you spell liability?!


So the race starts. I find out quickly that my Ipod is not working. You've got to be kidding me. Somehow, stuffing it into a too tight case made it get stuck on FM radio. And not even a legitimate station! I was irate. I finally managed to pull it out and stick it into my tank top.

It took us a good half a mile for Lacy to realize she wasn't going to be able to pull me the whole way. She finally got her pace and settled right in. I however, never found my pace. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say how dumb it was to run the nite before. My legs were killing me. I seriously felt like I head dead legs. They felt like they each weighed about 30 pounds. Never got my stride. Add to that my falling down pants and I was dying.

We stopped for about 5 milliseconds at the halfway point for Lacy to grab a sip of water. We went maybe another 1/8th of a mile and disaster struck.

My Ipod broke. Absolutely just quit working.

Freakin' awesome. I cannot run without my Ipod. I can't find my rhythm and I just hate not having it. It pumps me up. So we finished half the race with no Ipod.

All honesty on this blog right? We stopped once. I was so frustrated with how things were going that I had to have a quick collect myself moment.

Then we picked it back up and brought it on home.

I was so disappointed in myself. I had two goals for this race; 1) to not stop and 2) to finish in under 35:00.

Well, we stopped and we finished in 35:23.


But then I got over myself. Plus, my pup did so good!! She didn't stop once to go to the bathroom (she usually always stops on any run!) and she kept right beside me the whole time. One other runner even remarked on how disciplined she was. Of course the minute he spoke to her she went all A.D.D on him and I'm sure he wished he could take it back.

So not exactly what I would've hoped for, but most def a learning experience. Plus, I've got the racing bug now. I can't wait for the next one!!

Afterwards they had this huge pool or all the dogs to drink out of. Do you think my dog would drink out of the same one as all the others? Uh no. I had to go get her a bottle of water and let her drink out of my hand. She's also clearly not a "dog" dog. She doesn't really care for other ones. She's not mean, but she's not very social. There was this group of dogs, including my friend TW's two, and then there's Lace. Off laying by herself watching the kids on the playground.

But she's just so cute. =)

LS, TW, the pups, and I after the race.

Lace & I

KJ, A, the pups and I

On the way home, I took Lacy to PetSmart to pick out a treat for doing so good. We pick out this $6 bone. She gets in the car and won't touch it. We went through the ChickFila line where she received a free milk bone. Gone in 2 seconds. Along with half my chicken sandwich.

Even though she clearly wasn't interested in the nice bone, she's been laid up in the guest room with it for 2 days. She wouldn't even eat dinner.

My dogs a nut.


jlc said...

Yes, but you DID it!!! So that's awesome. :)

Ohhhhhh believe it or not i've never actually ran with my iPod. I find it always gets in the way. I know judge judge judge. ; )

d.a.r. said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! That is so awesome. I seriously admire you so much, I probably would have just stopped, sat down and cried and never finished the race haha.

At my first 10K, my iPod battery died as I was lining up for the start. I was so mad at myself and felt so freaking stupid! I do all of my training runs with music, so it was really weird to not have it. I felt all out of sorts for the first three miles listening to my panting and feet hitting the ground. It was very strange.

And hey, I think you did fab :)

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the race! You did really well and so did Lacy! Next time I would still run the night before, but make it ~2 miles at an incredibly sloooow pace. I can't wait to hear how you do in your next race! Do you already have one in mind?

Lindsey said...

YAYAYAYAY YOU DID IT! So proud of you!! And look at those super skinny, toned legs!!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin